Monday 22 August 2011

Where Is The Love?

Cause people got me got me questioning, where is the love...

I think that there could be a double meaning behind the Black Eyed Peas first big hit, Where is the Love.

Obviously they were discussing where the love is within humanity. You can hear that in the lyrics of the song.

However, I think that they may also have been questioning where is the love is for the first black eyed peas, the beans.

Well... maybe not. Maybe that is me doing a little reaching in symbolism, but you never know.

Anyway, that is question on my mind because I love eating those little beans, but they aren't a favourite of the majority of the population.

I mean, have you ever heard someone say, "I'm craving some black eyed peas" or "yum, black eyed peas, that's what I'd want for my last meal." I haven't heard anyone even mention black eyed peas as a semi-favourite food before.

But, now is your chance to try them in a yummy, nutty, way. And because they're paired up with another equally neglected bit of produce, swiss chard, you're doing double duty on the new food front.


Swiss Chard and Black Eyed Pea Salad

1 bunch of rainbow swiss chard, washed and roughly chopped
1 bunch of beet greens, washed and roughly chopped
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch salt

1. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan at medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions begin to sweat, 2-5 minutes.

2. Once onions begin to sweat, add swiss chard and beet greens and cook until greens wilt, about 2 minutes.

I add the stems as well as the greens both for the texture and the extra colour, but you can add just the greens if you like.

3. While the onions, garlic, and greens are cooking, combine vinegar, mustard, salt, and the rest of the olive oil in a large bowl. Stir to combine.

4. Once greens are wilted, add greens, garlic, onions, and black eyed peas to the dressing. Toss to combine and enjoy!

Once you try this, I bet you'll start singing Where is the Love because it's so yummy. :)

And hey, since you've got the beets already, why not try my Candy Cane Beet Slaw too?

No comments:

Post a Comment