Sunday 14 August 2011

Sweet Tarts

I just got back from a weekend of camping and I can't count the number of the bug bites, aches, and bits of dirts on me.

Not to mention the facts that it was a long drive, it was cold, we forgot my sleeping bag and part of the stove. So... let's just say that I've had better camping trips.

So when I crawled out of our tent both mornings (yes, we did remember the tent) I longingly thought of the delicious pancakes I had created the weekend before.

They were sweet, tart, and oh so warm and comforting. But thinking of them made me a little sad, since I was stuck with cold cereal.

I'll be enjoying these yummy creations of mine soon enough though. And, luckily, not all of the weekend was bad. Some of it was pretty fun.


Sweet and Tart Rhubarb Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, warmed
1 cup rhubarb, cut in chunks and cooked with 1 tablespoon sugar at 350 for about 20-30 minutes

1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

2. Combine egg, milk, and butter. Mix well and pour into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.

3. Add rhubarb and gently stir in.

4. Heat a large pan or griddle with a little extra butter to medium low heat. Once butter begins to bubble, you can start pouring the pancake batter in. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble before flipping and cooking both sides to a perfect golden brown.

5. Serve with sliced bananas and maple syrup. Enjoy!

Alright, and I sort of lied... A friend had a camp stove we could use and there were pancakes being sold on the beach too.

But the pancakes were made with a mix and I saw no fruit or maple syrup in sight, so they were basically not worth eating....

But honestly, I was really cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment