Tuesday 23 August 2011

Micro Cakes

I had a china tea set when I was younger and it was beautiful.

It had roses painted all over it, little plates, teacups, saucers, a sugar bowl, a milk pitcher, and it all fit on a little tray.

My mom used to make tea for me to serve and we'd enjoy cookies or cake as well. She had little spoons for me to hand out to stir the cups of tea with and never minded when my unstable hands dropped a dish.

Some of the time we had petit fours, the tiny layer cakes that are only a mouthful and covered with pastel chocolate and tiny decorations. I thought those times were some of the best tea parties of all.

I bet you thought I made petit fours. But you're wrong. I do love petit fours though, but I haven't made them - yet!

I have seen a similar recipe to my microwavable cake on a television show and absolutely loved the concept, but the cake took forever to prepare and chill. And you need so many kitchen appliances that I would have felt like I lived in a department store.

So what could I do but simplify the recipe and still make it tasty? Read on to find out!


Pistachio Cake
  • 1/2 cup of pistachios, shelled
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/3 cup of flour
  • 1/4 cup of cream cheese
  • eggs, separated
  • 3 tbsp. of blackberry jam
  • 1/2 cup of fresh blackberries
  1. Add pistachios, egg yolks, flour, and cream cheese to a food processor. Pulse until the texture is as smooth as you desire.
  2. Whip egg whites with a set of egg beaters until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and continue to beat until the peaks begin glossy.
  3. Use a spatula and scrape all the pistachio / cream cheese mixture into the bowl with the egg whites. Fold to combine, being as gentle as possible. If you need to use a little elbow grease, that's ok. The cakes will just be a bit denser, but equally as yummy.
  4. Puncture three holes into the bottom of 6 paper cups with a knife. Divide cake batter into the cups evenly.
  5. Place cups into the microwave and cook on high for 90 seconds.
  6. Run a butter knife around the edges of the cups and use a spoon to remove the cakes.
  7. Cut each cake halfway down the middle to form two layers and spread a half tablespoon of jam between the layers.
  8. Decorate each plate with a few fresh berries and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment