Sunday 21 August 2011

New Kids On My BBQ

I don't think that I've met anyone that can honestly say that they've never eaten pizza. It's common, easy to pick up, and most importantly, it's delicious!

And if I had to pick from the list of tasty ingredients, the hot and drippy cheesy goodness, the crispy crusts, the mountains of meat and veggie, I really don't think I could.

Ok, maybe the cheese, but I do love it all!

And I've tried, and eagerly enjoyed, every kind imaginable. With the exception of anchovy covered pies, because those furry looking fish just aren't my cup of tea. 

However, there is one kind of pizza that I've never eaten, up until now that is! And that kind is BBQ pizza. 

It's really easy and combines my year-round love of pizza with my summer love of BBQing.



Here is my simple recipe for BBQ Mediterranean Pizza

If you want to make your own dough, try my favourite recipe

And if you want to make it even simpler, try what my mom does and use Naan bread instead of pizza dough. There's no dough to make or form, so you get to skip a step!

  • can of purchased pizza dough
  • 1 cup of raw broccoli, sliced into small pieces
  • 2 cups of raw tomatoes, sliced and pressed with a paper towel to dry
  • 1 cup of cream cheese, cut into small chunks
  • 4 tbsp. of sun-dried tomato pesto
  • 4 tbsp. of fresh basil, finely sliced
  • 1 cup of olives, sliced in half and pitted
Steps
  1. Heat grill to a medium high heat.
  2. While grill is preheating, cut your pizza dough into four even sections and stretch it with your hands into flat rounds. Keep the dough a bit thicker than you normally would for making pizza, about 1/2 inch thick, because it will be easier to handle on the grill.
  3. Place each piece of dough on the grill and close the lid for about 3-5 minutes. If you leave the dough alone, you will get nice grill marks and it will easily lift from the grill.
  4. Flip the dough and let the other side cook for another 3-5 minutes.
  5. Turn the grill to low heat and remove the grilled pizza dough from the bottom grill and place on the top grill so that the dough does not cook a lot more.
  6. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on each grilled pizza dough, top with 1/4 cup of cream cheese chunks, broccoli, tomatoes, and olives.
  7. Close the lid and let the heat warm the veggies so they soften a little but are still crisp. This takes about 5-10 minutes.
  8. Remove pizzas from the grill and sprinkle each with a tablespoon of fresh basil. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment