Thursday 18 August 2011

One Hand In My Pocket...

And the other one is giving a high five.

I still love to listen my old Alanis Morissette CDs and that is one of my favourite songs. Did I get it stuck in your head? 

But Alanis isn't the only one giving out high fives. I definitely give high fives out for these tasty pockets of steak, spinach, onions and mushrooms that I made too. 

Just remember to high five each other before you starting chowing down, or else have a napkin in hand, because these puppies are messy. 


Steak Pitas

1 1/2 lbs of steak, the more tender the cut, the better
1 pinch salt and pepper
1/4 cup horseradish sauce 
1/4 cup plain yogurt 
1/4 cup mayonnaise 
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 onions, peeled and sliced into rings
1 cup of Enoki mushrooms, sliced button mushrooms also work well
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 plain pitas, sliced in half for a total of 8 servings 
1 package fresh or frozen spinach, lightly blanched

1. Rub steaks with salt and pepper and grill or fry until desired doneness. 

For tips on grilling, see my blog post here

2. While steaks are grilling, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside. 

3. Warm olive oil in a frying pan and add onions and mushrooms. Once they begin to cook, add balsamic vinegar and continue cooking until desired doneness. Remove from pan and set aside. 

4. Remove steaks from the grill and let rest for five minutes. Then slice them thinly across the grain. 

5. Build your pitas and you're done! Smear a spoon of the yogurt mixture inside a half pita, stuff some steak inside, and top with mushrooms, onions, and spinach. Now take a big bite and enjoy!

You don't have to cut your pita in half before stuffing full of steak and veggies, Rachel Ray didn't in her version that inspired my dinner, but I did because it sure makes eating the sandwiches a lot easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment