Monday 1 August 2011

From A to Z

I love to visit a Farmer's Market. I think about it all week and for once in my life I get excited about being spontaneous with cooking.

I do try and cook new things on a regular basis, but I always head to the grocery store with a list of items I'll need to make all the meals for one week. That means there isn't too much spontaneity once I get to the store.

But when I go to a Farmer's Market, there is no list in sight. I let my eyes do the talking, buy whatever I like, and somehow fit the goodies into my meal plan. But could you do it anyway else? There's someone selling everything and when you find some goodies you're forced to take them home.

At my last visit to a Farmer's Market I spied some huge zucchinis for $1.25 each and took two home with me to make into something. (That's another thing I love about Farmer's Market, you just can't beat those prices!)

I thought about it and finally decided on baking a loaf of zucchini bread.

I was glad to rediscover this old favourite and hope you're glad too.


Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1/4 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup grated zucchini, peel left on
1/4 cup margarine

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.

2. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, margarine, and zucchini. Pout this mixture into your flour mixture and stir just to mix. Batter should still be lumpy.

4. Spoon batter into loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

Alright, so there isn't everything from A to Z in this bread but there is Apple sauce and Zucchini. Plus, if you like A much better than Z, swap out the grated zucchini for grated apple and make Apple Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment