Saturday 2 March 2013

The New Soup Topper

I have dishes on my blog that I make on a regular basis, my Chocolate Banana Brownies and my newly discovered Celebration Lasagna often top that list. But neither of those posts are your favourite. My most viewed post is for my Crispy Spiced Chickpeas and today I'm sharing a recipe to make that snack into a great meal. 

I love a good spicy tomato soup and I love crackers with a bowl of it, but there are no crackers in today's post. Today I'm swapping crackers for Crispy Spiced Chickpeas and thrilled about it. Read on for my recipe!

Spicy Tomato Soup with Crispy Spiced Chick Peas

2 large cans of tomatoes
2 cups of chicken or veggie stock
1 tablespoon each of cumin and chili powder
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 recipe of Crispy Spiced Chickpeas

1. Add leeks, garlic, and oil to a large soup pot on the stove at medium heat. Cook until leeks soften.

2. Add cumin and chili powder and stir to coat the veggies. Add tomatoes, stock, and potatoes and let simmer about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked.

3. Purée with an immersion blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Top with Crispy Spiced Chickpeas right before serving and enjoy!

I think the soup works so well because the spices I used match with the spices in the chickpeas. If you are going to switch a spice in the chickpeas, I suggest switching the same spice in the soup.

2 comments:

  1. Shared on Foodie Friends Fridays links party. http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com/2013/03/foodie-friends-friday-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your recipe on Foodie Friends Friday! This recipe looks very tasty...can't wait to give it a try!

    Kelly Wells {Adorned Well}
    co-host of Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party

    ReplyDelete