Monday 25 March 2013

Oyster Mushrooms

Last Christmas Luke was given a kit that would grow oyster mushrooms. I was very excited to see how it would work, but a little unsure of the results would be because some similar kits I be received in the past didn't amount to much. 

This kit was different though. Seeing that first little mushroom erased every doubt in my mind and I was excited. Growing mushrooms we easier than I thought, once they got going, and I knew that a just picked mushroom would taste like a million bucks. 

Today's post doesn't feature oyster mushrooms I grew myself, they're still busy growing. Instead, I made a dish with mushrooms and oyster sauce. I like to think if it as a little snack before the main event of eating my harvest!

Mushrooms and Baby Bok Choy - serves 4

1 bag of baby Bok Choy, ends removed and well washed
1 package of small Asian mushrooms, enoki, shimeji, or other
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large frying pan, lightly sauté mushrooms in olive oil until tender, about 2 minutes.

2. Add the baby Bok Choy and toss with mushrooms.

3. Combine the water and oyster sauce and pour over the veggies. Toss to mix.

4. Continue to sauté until the baby Bok Choy wilts and softens, about 5 minutes or so.

5. Serve with rice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment