Sunday 17 March 2013

Best-o Pesto

Last year my basil did not not grow well. I might actually go so far as saying that it was the worst basil I've ever grown. And the worst part of that was that I didn't get to make any basil pesto for my freezer.

But I'm not worrying about that anymore. For one reason, I'm growing basil inside this year to ensure my plant doesn't get blown away by the wind and rain. And for the second reason, I've made a yummy Arugula Pesto that I am keen on making again.

Nothing says happy St. Patty's Day like green dinners, does it? And I think this pesto would be great on a simple Irish side of potatoes!

Arugula and Pumpkin Seed Pesto - makes about 2 cups

4 cloves of garlic, peeled
4 cups baby arugula
1 cup parsley
1/2 cup pepitas or pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste

1. Add garlic, arugula, parsley, and pepitas to a food processor. Pulse until puréed.

2. Slowly pour in the oil while the food processor is running.

3. Stir in the cheese and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

4. Smear on a sandwich, toss with pasta, or toss with potatoes. It's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment