Thursday 28 February 2013

Curry In a Hurry

Fast Food doesn't have to be burgers and fries from a chain restaurant. It can be food prepared in your own kitchen too! 

I just bought Michael Smith's new cookbook, Fast Flavours, and it's already one of my favourite cookbooks. Not only is it full of delicious recipes that can be prepared quickly, it's also full of awesome pictures. Beautiful pictures are important to me in a cookbook because if the food doesn't look good, how will I know if I want to eat it?

I changed a few things from the chef's original recipe, but not a lot. It was almost perfect for my taste buds! 



Curried Coconut Shrimp and Edamame - serves 4

1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 large carrots, peeled
2 cups of frozen edamame
1 pound of shrimp, peeled and tails removed
1 tablespoon lime juice and fish sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Cous cous, for serving

1. Add coconut milk to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add curry powder and stir to combine.

2. Use a veggie peeler and peel carrots into long thin strips. Eat the ends of the carrots for a quick snack.

3. Stir in edamame, shrimp, and fish sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5-8 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.

4. Once shrimp as cooked through, add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Serve with cous cous and enjoy.

As I was eating this dinner I thought it would also be great served in martini glasses as an appy for a dinner party. What do you think of this idea?

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I am definitely trying this. I love shrimp but Adam hates it, so I might try it with chicken instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared at Foodie Friends Friday linky party:http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com/2013/02/foodie-friends-friday-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete