Sunday 10 March 2013

Popeye Sandwich

As a child I loved a breakfast my mom called a Popeye Sandwich. It doesn't have spinach or any muscles at all, so looking back, I am not sure why I just accepted the name.

Most people call this breakfast Egg in the Hole Or Toad in the Hole, but I'll keep my old name. I'll keep the name even though I now don't think that it was named after the muscular, spinach eating man. I now think the sandwich was named a Popeye Sandwich because there's one egg, or one eye, in the middle and the other eye was popped out.

Who knows if I'm right, all I know is the sandwich tastes yummy and brings me back 20 years ago.

Popeye Sandwich - serves 1

1 piece of bread
1 egg
Butter for buttering the bread
Salt and pepper
Wilted spinach, optional

1.  Butter the bread on both sides and use a round cookie cutter or knife to cut a hole in the middle.

2. Pop the bread, circle and all, onto a hot frying pan and crack the egg into the hole in the middle. Top with salt and pepper.

3. Cook until the bottom bread and egg are toasty and cooked. Flip and cook until the other side is cooked through too.

4. Serve with wilted spinach for a true Popeye experience and enjoy.

Do you have a favourite childhood breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment