Tuesday 12 March 2013

Paella - Take Two

Paella used to be one of Luke's tiny pile of recipes that he could make and I could enjoy, but that's no more. Now I've improved upon his recipe so much that it's turned into a dish that I can make and he can enjoy.

I'm not so sure that I like the sounds of being treated to a home cooked meal less, but I know I love my new recipe. It's more authentic because there is only fish in it, no chorizo, but the awesome flavours are still there.

Seafood Paella - serves 4-6

1 onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, finely diced
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 cups short grain rice, uncooked
4 cups seafood stock, warmed
2 large fillets of firm white fish, halibut or basa
20 or so large shrimp
1 cup of frozen peas
1 lemon, quartered for garnish
Salt and pepper

1. In a large paella pan, or two smaller frying pans, start a sofrito. On medium heat, cook the garlic, onion, tomato, and peppers down until you have a saucy, rich base, about 5-10 minutes.

2. Add the paprika, turmeric, and rice. Stir to combine and let toast about one minute.

3. Gradually add the stock, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just about cooked, about 20-30 minutes.

4. Add the seafood and peas and cook until the fishes just cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5.  Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment