Friday 29 March 2013

Bun Buns

These buns are too perfect for Easter dinner. They're easy to make, taste like they're from a bakery, and they even look like little bunnies. I think. The only problem with them is that they're almost too cute to eat.

It took me a few tries to get them as close to perfect as I could for the holdiay. The first time they turned out like fat cats. If I had intended to make fats cats they would have been perfect, they tasted great! But I wanted bunnies for Easter.

Another try showed me my mistake was that I rolled round balls instead of longer pear shapes, my dough was too wet and I needed a little flour tossed on at the end, and I also didn't reshape the ears after I snipped them with scissors.


I don't think my Buns Buns are perfect yet, but I know they'll make a few smiles at my Easter dinner table. Read on for a chance to make your own Bun Buns, or Cat Buns if you like!

Bun Buns - makes 16

2 1/2 - 3 cups of flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 packet or 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine butter, water, egg, and yogurt. Mix well.

3. Add in remaining ingredients, starting with only 2 1/2 cups flour. Knead for about 5 minutes, adding more flour until dough is no longer sticky.

4. Cover dough with a tea towel and let rise for about an hour.

5. Cut dough into 16 equal parts. Roll into long pear shaped balls and toss with a little flour. Place on a cookie sheet and use scissors to snip long bunny ears. Reshape the ears to make them a little less pointy and lightly toss a little flour on the ears to prevent them from sticking to the bodies.

6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bottoms crisp and the bunny ears turn a slight brown. 

7. Serve with Easter dinner or whenever you need a smile. 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to have to make these this weekend! I'm sure they'll be an Easter hit! I've already bookmarked your recipe and am going to Pin it now!

    Fellow #LMDConnector mama! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shared on Foodie Friends Friday linky party http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com/2013/04/foodie-friends-friday-with-stella-dot.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so adorable. Sometimes it just takes a few tries to get it right. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete