Thursday 29 September 2011

Two Sides To Every Story

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I knew I had to start whipping up some side dishes that could compete with the main event.

But where should I start?

I always make a ton of food for holidays and Thanksgiving's one of those holidays that seems to warrant me cooking a little extra.

I make turkey, a potato dish, dressing, cranberry sauce, a green veggie, and an orange veggie. Plus dessert, of course! And that's just if there's only Luke and myself!

I know some people might say that's overkill, but I say it's enjoying the moment. And it doesn't hurt to have lots of leftovers.

But it's not Thanksgiving yet, so I don't need all the leftovers.

Tonight I whipped up a simple side that combines two of the most integral parts of my holiday meal. And I have to say that it really made the meal feel like Thanksgiving.

The recipe is altered from one featured in September's Canadian Living and it's on my keep list.


Butternut Squash filled with Sage Dressing

1 butternut squash, cut in half and seeds removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated or finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 large sage leaves, finely chopped

1. Brush half the oil onto the squash and sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. Either roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or microwave on high for 10 minutes. The microwave is faster, but the oven method tastes sweeter.

2. While squash is cooking, prepare the dressing filling. Stir all remaining ingredients other in a medium bowl and set aside.

3. When the squash is roasted (or zapped), fill the whole with the dressing and mound the rest on top. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and the squash is tender.

4. Slice and serve. Perfect with a chicken breast and some steamed greens for a Thanksgiving like dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment