Tuesday 27 September 2011

One-derland

For my one hundredth post I thought about what recipe to highlight for awhile.

I debated savoury or sweet, simple or sophisticated, quick or time consuming, and couldn't make up my mind.

So after all that I decided that what I was muddling over in head was too complicated and what I should share today would be something featuring one of my favourite ingredients.

And no, I do not mean cheese. Today I mean tea!

I drink one cup minimum per day and whether the tea is black, white, or green, I don't care. I love each and every tea in my cupboard.

But today isn't just about drinking tea (though what I am sharing does go well with a cup), it's about cooking with tea too!


So from my favourite Victoria, BC teashop to your home, here's Silk Road's Green Tea Shortbread Cookies!

Since it's just myself and Luke and these cookies are too delicate to transport to work for sharing, I only made a half batch of Silk Road's recipe, but it made 36 bite sized treats!

Green Tea Cookies

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon matcha tea (powdered green tea available at Japanese grocers or specialty tea shops)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
Chocolate chips (for decorating)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Sift Matcha, flour, and salt in a small bowl and then add to the butter mixture until just combined.

4. Pat mixture into a circle and chill in the fridge for about an hour if you will be using a cookie cutter to shape cookies.

This stage was almost as much fun as eating the cookies because the dough smelled so invitingly smoky with tea!


5. Cut out cookies and place on a lined cookie sheet and decorate with a chocolate chip or two.

6. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, but watch carefully so the cookies don't brown. Half the fun is that these treats are green after all!

7. Enjoy with a pot of freshly brewed tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment