Friday 2 September 2011

FFood

I know what you're thinking, food has only one f....

But today food has two fs because my entire dinner consisted of food that began with the letter f or, to keep it simple, ffood.

Does it sound like Sesame Street is on? We're almost talking about food that begins with letter f too much!

I think we had better shelf this conversation for now and just talk about the actual food.



Fresh Figs, Fennel, and Fish For Four

Let's start with the fish. I used four pieces of fresh salmon and just seasoned each piece with salt and pepper before covering them with fennel fronds, the little leaves from the fennel bulb we'll be using in a few minutes.

Then I popped the fish into the oven preheated to 350 for about 20-30 minutes, just until the fish started to turn opaque.

(And incase you are Luke, opaque means something solid you cannot see though. It does not mean something clear...)

Next I turned to the fresh figs.


Figs have such a beautiful, delicate flavour and texture on their own that they really don't need much done to them at all.

That's why I decided to let the fruit speak for itself and just gently washed eight figs, trimmed the stems off, cut them in half, and gently sauteed them in a 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

I only sauteed them for about 5 minutes, just so the sugar melted and the figs warmed.

Next I removed the figs from the pan and added in the fennel. I used two medium fennel bulbs and sliced each bulb into about eight even pieces.

All I added to the fennel was about 1/4 cup of chicken broth. I covered the pan with a lid and let the broth steam the fennel until it was tender, about 5-10 minutes.

Finally I just brought another cup of chicken broth to a boil, removed it from the heat and added in a cup of couscous. I stirred that for a few minutes and added in some raisins and sliced green pepper.

And incase you needed an f word for the cous cous, I called this quick and easy little recipe fab cous cous.

So that's it.

And if you didn't like the format for this post, don't worry. I will be back to posting like normal as quick as you can say yum!

I just figured with the all talk of Sesame Street, I should tell today's post like a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment