I absolutely love pie so choosing my second Harry Potter themed dish to share with you was incredibly easy. I always envisioned the Pumpkin Patsies sold on the Hogwart's Express as little Cornish Pasties style pies stuffed full of pumpkin. And if those pumpkin filled treats were good enough for Harry, I knew that they'd be perfect for me too.
I know they sound simple, but the magic created when these Pumpkin Pasties bake is truly amazing. But of course we all already knew that because they weren't featured in Harry Potter for nothing!
Pumpkin Pasties - makes 4 large or 6 smaller pasties
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups all purpose flour
8 tablespoons cold water, added as needed
2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced (about 1 cup in total)
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced (about 1/2 cup total)
1/2 cup finely diced pumpkin or butternut squash
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast flakes
Salt and pepper
1. Cut the shortening into the flour with a knife or pastry cutter. When the mixture looks like bread crumbs, add water until mixture clumps and sticks together into a dough.
2. On a floured surface, cut the dough into four even pieces and shape into circles. Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
4. Roll pastry into circles about the size of dinner plates and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
5. Spoon a quarter of the pumpkin mixture onto one half of each of the circles. Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling and crimp the edges closed.
6. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the Pumpkin Pasties start to brown. Enjoy!
As a second thank you for making my Harry Potter Butterbeer Cupcake post so popular, here's a giveaway for two free Pizza Pops coupons for Pizza Pops new flavours - Kickin' Buffalo Chicken or Blazin' Beef Nacho! I like to think of Pizza Pops as a quick, easy, and delicious version of my Pumpkin Pasties. They're shaped the same at the very least!
Giveaway open to Canadian readers only. Entrants can earn up to three entries:
1. Leave a blog post comment.
2. Like Delish in a Dish on Facebook or leave me a comment to let me know you already do.
3. Follow Delish in a Dish on Pinterest or leave me a comment to let me know you already do.
Winner will be chosen randomly on Tuesday November 12, 2013. If there are 50 entries by this date, I'll also giveaway 2 BOGO Pizza Pops coupons to a second entrant! Good luck!
Disclaimer: All coupons are from BzzAgent. I was not compensated for this post.