Saturday 16 November 2013

Japanese Desserts

I was reading about a local Victoria, BC tea shop called JagaSilk and how they had delicious looking Strawberry Daifuku treats. I had no idea what those treats were, but I knew that I wanted to get my hands on one of them. The only problem was that this tea shop was open only from Tuesdays to Fridays and only from 12:00-5:00pm. I knew I would never get there. 

So I did what I do best, I researched how to make the treats myself. And I'm actually happy I did it this way because I'm pretty proud of the dessert I created. They look and taste great, plus I learned a new technique! 

Read on the recipe, inspired by one from Just One Cookbook, it's easier than you might have thought! 

Strawberry Daifuku - makes 6

6 fresh strawberries
1/4 cup red bean paste
1 cup glutinous rice flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cups water
Corn starch, for dusting

1. Trim the tops off all of the strawberries.

2. Divide the red bean paste into six pieces. Flatten each piece into a thin circle with your finger and press them around each of the strawberries. Leave the tops of the strawberries uncovered.

3. Whisk together the sugar and flour and then gradually add in the water, stirring until a thick smooth paste forms.

4. Microwave the paste for one minute and then stir. Some of the paste may have started becoming gelatinous and that's ok.

5. Microwave for another minute and stir again. By now most of the paste will have become gelatinous.

6. Microwave for another 30 seconds and by now all of the paste will have formed one gelatinous ball.

7. Sprinkle a cutting board or your counter with a little corn starch. Empty the glutinous rice flour mixture onto the corn starch and sprinkle a little more corn starch on top. Divide the mixture into six pieces.

8. Flatten each piece of the corn starch covered mixture with your fingers and wrap the red bean paste covered strawberries completely. This may get a little sticky and you may want a little extra corn starch for dusting your desserts as you make them.

9. Repeat until all strawberries are covered and enjoy at room temperature.

I am lucky enough to have a wonderful China Town market where I live and was able to easily find the red bean paste and glutinous rice flour there. I hope you are too! 




2 comments: