Saturday 15 June 2013

Chilly Summer Days

We all seem to be having really erratic weather this year, so even though it's June and it's warm where I am, I thought I would share one of my newest chili recipes. I sure hope we don't need to warm up with a big bowl of chili, but I guess we just don't know what weather we are going to get. 

And, to be honest, I like chili in the summer, regardless of the weather. It's awesome to serve any leftovers on top of a sausage in a bun! 

Cumin Scented Lentil Chili - serves 6-8 

1 onion, finely chopped 
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped 
4 cloves of garlic, minced 
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced 
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can of chopped tomatoes, or about 4-6 fresh skinned tomatoes 
1 can of black beans 
1/2 cup of red lentils 
2 teaspoons each of cumin seeds, brown sugar, and white vinegar
1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen corn kernels 

1. In a large soup pot, sauté onion, celery, garlic, and mushrooms in the oil until soft, about 5 minutes. 

2. Add chili powder and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add tomatoes, beans, lentils, cumin, sugar, and vinegar. Stir to combine, cover, and cook until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. 

3. Add corn and cook until warm. 

4. Serve and enjoy with cheese, yogurt, or sour cream of desired. 

This chili has already become the top chili in my house. I think it's the addition of the cumin and lentils, but I can't be sure unless I have another bowl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment