Tuesday 25 June 2013

Christmas Curry

Today is halfway to my favourite time of the year, Christmas, so it's only fitting for me to make a Christmasy curry. But before you start thinking about how I might be using pine needles, cinnamon, or sugar plums, let me tell you that I used perfectly normal and delicious curry ingredients - I just made my dish extra special with thoughts of Christmas in mind.

First off, I made my curry reflect the colours of Christmas by making a red curry sauce with plenty of fresh green broccoli and basil. And secondly, I decorated my curry with one of my favourite heirloom potatoes - the Warba New Nugget. I like to think of the Warba New Nuggets as little glass balls decorating my bowl because they're round, sweet as can be, and are even speckled with a decoration of pink eyes. 



You might be surprised at my use of potatoes in a curry because curries are usually paired with another starch, but potatoes are actually frequently used in curries and after one bite of this recipe I know you will never think twice about using a Warba New Nugget in your curry again! 
Christmas Curry - serves 4

1 stalk of lemon grass, minced or 1 tablespoon of lemongrass purée from a squeeze tube
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or 2 teaspoons of finely chopped pink pickled ginger to keep with the theme of Christmas
2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
1 can of coconut milk
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 cups of lightly steamed Warba New Nugget Potatoes, halved if large
3 cups of broccoli, cut into florets
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
Hot rice, about 1/2 -1 cup per person 
1/4 fresh basil, chopped or torn for garnish

1. In a large frying pan, add the onion, eggplant, and oil and cook on medium heat until the veggies are soft, about 5 - 8 minutes. Add curry paste, lemon grass, garlic, and ginger and cook about 30 -60 more seconds.

2. Add the can of coconut milk and stir to combine. Cook until you can see the curry paste oil separate and smell a fragrant curry smell, about 8 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, fish sauce, steamed Warba New Nugget Potatoes and cook until the broccoli is cooked, about another 2 - 5 minutes.

3. Add in the sugar and lime juice and stir to combine. Taste and add more lime juice if you like.

4. Serve curry on top of rice and garnish with basil. Enjoy!

Much like the true Christmas season, these delightful little Warba New Nuggets are only available for a limited time - so get them while they're here and eat them all up! I know I'm planning many more recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment