Saturday 8 September 2012

Cheery Cherries

There are a lot of foods that make me smile when I think of them. Dark chocolate, salty potato chips or popcorn, creamy cheese, or fresh cherries all do the trick for me. 

And when I get a chance to pile some of my favourite foods on top of each other and eat them all at once, I am a really happy girl. Can you guess what two of my favourite ingredients I'm combining today? 

It's not chocolate covered potatoes or cherry brownies, although both sound delicious! It's not cheesy popcorn either, but I might have some of that tonight! 

Today I am combining cherries and cheese! That combination might sound a little out there, but just wait until you taste my Cheery Cherry Relish on a cheeseburger. It's going to taste great!

Cheery Cherry Relish Burgers - serves 8

8 burger buns
8 beef patties
16 pieces of brie (or another soft cheese)
8 pieces of lettuce
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 1/2 cups cherries, halved
2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. First make your Cheery Cherry Relish. Cook the onion in a pot on your stove at medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Then add in the vinegar and cherries and continue to cook until the skin of the cherries begins to break and the cherries are soft. Remove the relish from the heat and mash with a potato masher until it reaches your desired consistency. Add the basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. Then preheat your barbecue and grill your burgers.

3. When your burgers are done, lay a piece of lettuce over the bottom buns and cover with burgers. Top the burgers with two slices of cheese each, divide the relish among the burgers, and top with the top buns. Enjoy!

What are your favourite food combinations? Are they a little weird like pairing cheese and cherries, or do you like more common food pairings?

No comments:

Post a Comment