Tuesday 25 October 2011

My Big Fat Italian Wedding

Really, I am a morning a morning person. But on cold mornings, I am anything but that. 

I hate pulling myself out from under the covers in the morning and feeling a chill on my skin. I'm not even tired anymore, but I feel cold and I don't want to move. 

So on days like today, I try to look on the bright side and think about warm things. 

One of those things is a big bowl of steamy soup. And I love soup. 

I love soup so much that I included one of my favourite warm and cozy soup recipes in my card at a bridal shower this weekend. 

And what could be more perfect for the occasion than Italian Wedding Soup? 

But you're not getting just any Italian Wedding Soup. You're getting my Big Fat Italian Wedding Soup. It's chunky and delicious, and it might even beat out the original version I gave to my friend. 

Big Fat Italian Wedding Soup

1 large onion, diced
1 medium sweet potato, diced
1 bunch of beet greens, roughly sliced
8 cups of chicken stock, homemade or purchased
3 cups cooked orzo or other small pasta (cooked el dente)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb of lean ground beef
1/4 cup of ketchup
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced

1. Start by making your meatballs. Combine the bottom six ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. 

2. Roll meat into 1 cm round balls and either brown them in a non-stick frying pan or bake them on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. Let the meatballs cool.


3. Add the chicken stock to large soup pot and then add onion and sweet potato chunks. Simmer at low heat until the veggies are soft, about 15-20 minutes. 

I leave my veggies in the largest bite sized pieces I can, but that's only because this is my Big Fat Italian Wedding Soup (and because it's a cold day and I am hungry!)

4. Once the veggies are soft, add in the meatballs and the beet greens to warm. 

5. Put a scoop of the pasta in each bowl and top with soup. Stir to combine and sprinkle a little cheese on top. 

6. Enjoy and have seconds if you like. This is a pretty healthy soup and it's cold outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment