Sunday 2 October 2011

Happy Birth-Jay

Today is my brother J's 21st birthday! He lives far from me, or else I would have invited him over for dinner and birthday cake.

J doesn't get as excited about food as I do, but I think I could have made him something he would have loved.

He really likes beef jerky and I am sure he would love my recipe, but that's not something he would choose for dinner.

Actually maybe he would choose that... But that wouldn't be something I would have offered him for dinner tonight because as we all know, I love balanced meals.

No, tonight I would have made J something with sausage in it. He loves sausage and this meal is something so flavourful that I didn't even need any salt or pepper.


Spanish Stew - makes about 4 serving

1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chorizo, chopped (I use the hard kind from the deli section that is already cooked)
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 large can of chopped tomatoes, low sodium
1/2 cup pitted green olives, sliced in half
2 cups basa fillets (or other hardy white fish), chopped in 2 inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste (if needed)

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot on the stove and cook onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.

2. Add all remaining ingredients, except for fish, and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes.

3. Gently fish into stew and continue cooking until the fish is cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.

4. Serve with a crusty loaf of bread for dipping and enjoy!

And what better bread to serve a birthday boy than homemade? I just used my favourite recipe and changed it to make it suit this dinner since I thought we already had enough olives!

Instead, I omitted the olives and added 2 tablespoons of roughly chopped fresh rosemary and an extra 1/2 tablespoon of salt. This was a winner and I think J would have loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment