Friday 31 August 2012

Viet-nom nom nom

This is not the most beautiful recipe I've shared with you, but the taste of this Vietnamese Beef dish certainly makes up for it. The combination of fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice tells me there's a chance that I'm going to get over full after the meal. And there's nothing I want to change about that. 

Something else that I love about Vietnamese food is something that I discovered by accident. I was cooking my rice to pair with dinner and I let it cook a little too long; not so long that it burned but long enough that the rice touching the bottom of the pot was a little crispy. 

I hadn't made enough rice to waste the crispy rice, so I just scraped it off the bottom and stirred everything together, hoping that no one would notice. I noticed, but in a good way! The texture of the crispy bottom rice provided another layer to the dish that I hadn't expected and now I'll try to get crispy rice when I make this dish again!

Vietnamese Beef - serves 4

2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons oil
1 pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 pounds of beef, sliced into strips
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons peanuts
1/2 bunch of green onions, cut into one inch chunks
2 cups of brown rice
Lime wedges, for garnish

1. Combine soy, lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce in a small bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. In another bowl, add the oil, garlic, and a healthy grind of pepper (about 2 teaspoons).

2. Season the beef with salt and add the garlic and oil mixture to a pan on the stove at medium high heat. Add the onion and beef and let the beef brown on both sides.

3. Add the soy sauce mixture and cook until the onion and  beef are both cooked to your desired doneness, about 2-5 minutes.

4. Toss in the green onions and let warm.

5. Serve onto of brown rice with peanuts and lime wedges to garnish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment