Wednesday 29 August 2012

Judge This Book By It's Cover!

I like to think that I am a home cook that makes food that tastes good most of the time. But I don't try and kid myself that my food is always beautiful. 

The mantra that I like to follow is "don't judge a book by it's cover". And I like to use a similar mantra for my food too: "don't judge a dish by it's plating". 

I know that we eat with our eyes, but I'm still working on making my food look as good as it tastes. 

But, friends, I think I've had a breakthrough. This dessert looks as good as it tastes and it tastes awesome! Better yet, it's not very hard to make! Read on to see how quickly your dinner table can look like it belongs in a fancy restaurant. 

Chocolate Cheesecake Parfaits - serves 4 large portions or 8 small portions


1 cup cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup whipping cream
6 graham crackers, crumbled
1/2 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water

1. In a large bowl, beat together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, cocoa, and vanilla.

2. In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate cream cheese mixture. Then fold in the other half of the whipped cream until just combined.

3. Divide the graham cracker crumbs between 4 wine glasses or 8 champagne flutes. Top each glass with fluffy chocolate cream cheese mixture and a handful of fresh blackberries. Set aside.

4. Next, prepare your sugar decorations. Start by flipping a bowl over on your counter and covering it with a piece of parchment paper so you have a dome to flick your sugar decorations on. Then, in a medium pot on the stove at medium high heat, combine the sugar and water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to a low boil and cook until it reaches a rich amber colour. Dip a fork into your sugar mixture and flick it over the top of the bowl to form a lacy pattern.

5. Let your sugar decorations cool for a minute, then break them apart and stick a few into the tops of each of your Chocolate Cheesecake Parfaits. Enjoy with friends!

I don't know if I prefer serving this dessert in wine glasses for a big indulgence or in champagne flutes so I am left wanting more!

No comments:

Post a Comment