Have you ever committed to baking for someone's birthday and realized that you were out of all flours except for whole wheat? I have and I was nervous for the success of my dessert until I tasted it.
I think the only reason that my whole wheat cupcakes were a success was because I was baking a cake that had little pieces of coconut throughout the batter. I think that the coconut disguised the whole wheat flour and no one noticed the textured flour at all. The lemon glaze that covered the dessert might have helped a little too, but I think the coconut was the clincher for success!
These Coconut Lemon Cupcakes were such a success that I think I might even use whole wheat flour next time I bake them, even if I have a large stock of all purpose flour!
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour, the choice is yours!)
1/2 cup of grated coconut, plus extra for garnishing your treats
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup milk
Lemon Glaze ingredients:
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
1 - 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 - 3/4 cup icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all dry cake ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in the centre and add in the wet cake ingredients. Mix to combine.
3. Pour cake batter into cupcake tins and bake for about 10-15 minutes for mini cupcakes or 20-30 minutes for large cupcakes. If you want, you can also bake the batter in a cake pan for about 40 minutes.
4. While cake is baking stir together the yogurt, lemon juice, and icing sugar to make the Lemon Glaze. Add more lemon juice for a thinner and more lemony glaze and more icing sugar for a thicker and sweeter glaze.
5. When cake is fully cooked, removed from the oven, place on a plate, and poke with a skewer a few times so the glaze can be absorbed into the cake. Pour glaze over the cake and sprinkle with a little extra coconut. Enjoy!