Saturday 25 August 2012

Claw in Claw

When I lived on the East Coast, lobster was plentiful and you could often find lobster fishermen selling their catch on the side of the road for less than $5.00 per pound. So, needless to say, I ate my fill of lobster when I lived there!

If I thought things would be similar on the West Coast, just switching the lobster for crab, I would have been wrong. You can find crab fishermen selling their catch, but there are no bargain basement prices here and that means you really have to enjoy every bite. 

The crab I recently had was frozen because I am a little squeamish cooking the whole animal. The only reason I can do it with lobster is because I know where to find the meat, with a crab I don't know where it is besides the legs!

The last thing I want to share before I tell you the recipe for my Garlic and Orange Butter Sauce, is that you should probably put on easy to wash clothing and eat outdoors with a big box under the table for the empty crab claws. 

This sauce is so good that you'll be double dipping, it could get drippy, and you'll be so full afterwards that the less clean up, the better!





















Steamed Crab with Garlic and Orange Butter Sauce - serves 2

1 kg of crab legs, frozen
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Zest from one orange
1 tablespoon orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Steam the crab legs in a large pot with 1/2 cup water and the wine. Steam snow crab legs for about 8-10 minutes or King crab legs for about 15 minutes.

2. While the crab is steaming, make your Garlic and Orange Butter Sauce. Add the butter and garlic to a small pot on the stove at medium low heat and cook until the butter melts and you can smell the garlic begin to cook. Add the orange zest, orange juice, and parsley. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. When the crab is finished cooking, cut open the legs to make it easier to eat and head outside for dinner.

4. Dip your steamed crab in the Garlic and Orange Butter Sauce and enjoy!

Yum, I am drooling just thinking about this meal! I think the crab and Garlic and Orange Butter Sauce go claw in claw. Do you have any other favourite sauces for shellfish?

No comments:

Post a Comment