I love to pamper myself and dream I am in Hawaii with a little island meal, but most of Hawaiian lunches feel a little dull. There's Hawaiian pizza of course, but I've made that hundreds of times and it doesn't feel special anymore. There's a fruit salad... I'm not going to even try to make a point with that. And, since I am not going to make a pig underground, what else is there?
Welcome to my BBQ Hawaiian Pizza Sandwich. This is a fresh take on island food and will make you happy. It's fun, made on the BBQ, the tomatoes turn into jam, and the ham turns into bacon.
That's right, bacon ham. Read on to find out more!
4 slices of bread, buttered on one side
1/2 cup of grated Mozzarella cheese
4 rings of pineapple, straight out of the can
2 roma tomatoes
6 slices of ham
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat your BBQ to medium heat and prepare your tomatoes to make an easy tomato jam. Slice both tomatoes and place each pile of slices on a piece of tin foil. Season with salt and pepper and pinch the tin foil closed to form a packet. Throw the packets on the grill and let cook for about 10 - 15 minutes while you prepare everything else.
2. Next place the slices of bread, buttered side down, on the top rack of the grill and cover with about two tablespoons of cheese each. Close the lid of the BBQ to let the cheese melt.
3. Then throw on the pineapple rings and the sliced ham. Let let pineapple ring and slice of ham cook for about one minute. Then gently flip them over to cook another minute.
4. Once everything is finished cooking, remove them from the grill and layer up your BBQ Hawaiian Pizza sandwiches. Your ham slices should be crispy like bacon, your pineapple should be warm with grill marks, and your tomatoes should be melty, slightly charred, and turning into a jam.
5. To layer your sandwiches, take a piece of cheesy bread and spread on a packet of tomato jam. I keep each tomato separate so that it's easy to know what much is for each sandwich.
6. Then top with bacon ham, grilled pineapple, and another slice of cheesy bread. Enjoy!
Do you feel like you're on the island? I know it makes me feel like I am !