Some burgers are a such a ridiculous size that I don't think I could ever get my mouth open wide enough to bite into one. Have you seen a menu with a family sized burger you're supposed to slice into eight pizza slice shaped burgers and enjoy as a group?
I just can't imagine wanting to eat a burger so badly that I'd eat the top bun first, then the toppings, then the burger, then the bottom bun. Where's the fun in that?
But as long as it's a really good burger, I think that it's ok to serve a really big burger to your dad on Father's Day. Just as long as it's not so big that he can't bite into it and he really should be able to finish the burger by himself!
Dads want to be challenged and a burger challenge is the ultimate challenge. So let's get cracking and build a bite for tonight.
8 thin buns
1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 tomatoes, sliced
8 slices of cheese
8 pieces of lettuce
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 cup chimichurri sauce, best rested over night in the fridge to allow the oil to solidify
1. Preheat your barbecue to medium heat.
2. Combine the ketchup, bread crumbs, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl. Add the meat and mix with your hands to combine.
3. Form meat mixture into eight patties and throw them on the grill. Wiggle them around on the grill so they don't stick and leave them alone until they're ready to flip. You don't want to touch the burgers too much or they may start to fall apart.
4. Flip the burgers and place a slice of cheese on each burger to start to melt.
5. When the burgers are cooked through, pop them in buns and layer them up for a big bite with lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, and of of course - chimichurri sauce!
6. Stretch out your jaw and take a big bite with your dad. :)
You'll thank me for suggesting thin buns when you wrap your mouth around your first big bite!
Thanks to each and every one of the dads out there, but especially mine! I think you're the best!