I love to mix sweet and spicy flavours into one dish. I think it makes the flavours feel more layered and complex. And when I get to add in a nutty taste too, well that's just the icing on top of the cake.
This recipe takes a basic sweet potato soup up notch by adding in a few tablespoons each of thick peanut butter and sweet Thai chili sauce. Plus I've created a garnish of sticky and sweet peanuts that make the soup extra special.
I think the peanuts would make a great topping for a salad or even a great bar snack too. So I'd advise making a double serving of them!
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon brown sugar
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups of water
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce, homemade or store bought
1/4 cup of cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Sticky and Sweet Peanuts, for garnish
1. Melt butter in a large soup pot at medium heat. Add the onion, sugar, and garlic and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add broth, water, potatoes, and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are soft and can be pierced with a knife, about 20-30 minutes.
3. Add in the cilantro and then use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sweet Thai chili sauce (you may want to add more or less of the sweet Thai chili sauce than I suggested).
4. Top with Sticky and Sweet Peanuts and enjoy!
Sticky and Sweet Peanuts
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of salted peanuts
2 tablespoons of sweet Thai chili sauce, homemade or store bought
2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
1. Add oil to a small frying pan and once heated, add the peanuts.
2. Stir in the cilantro and sweet Thai chili sauce. Let the sauce coat the peanuts and the cilantro wilt.
3. Let the peanuts cool and enjoy!