Tuesday 19 June 2012

No Eggs? No Problem!

I love eggs. Scrambled, poached, fried, hard boiled, soft boiled, made into an omelette, a pasta sauce, and any other recipe imaginable. I love eggs. 

But I also love dessert. And on those afternoons that I want a chocolate cake and have just finished my last egg for breakfast, I curse my love of eggs. 

Well.. maybe I don't curse my love of eggs, but I am annoyed! Going to the store for a box of eggs is a hassle and I could have been eating my dessert by the time I finished shopping for eggs. 

But all that's in the past because now I've discovered this long loved egg-less cake. It tastes delicious and I can't imagine finding an easier recipe! 

Now I can have my cake and eat it (as well as my eggs) too!

Chocolate Cake in a Pan with Maple Candy Frosting

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt directly in an 8 inch square baking dish.

3. In a glass bowl, combine butter, lemon juice, and water. Microwave for about one minute to melt butter and then pour over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

4. Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes and let cool for five minutes before pouring the Maple Candy Frosting overtop.

5. Allow frosting to solidify and serve with fresh raspberries to offset the sweetness. Enjoy!

Maple Candy Frosting

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons icing sugar

1. Add brown sugar, milk, and butter to medium pot on the stove and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring mixture frequently.

2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the icing sugar. Vigorously stir to combine.

3. Pour the frosting on the cake while the frosting is still hot. Frosting will solidify as it cools and will taste just like a maple sugar candy!

You've got to try this frosting. It's pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten!

2 comments:

  1. well we will just have to make sure you always have lots of eggs on hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm excited for this! I'm allergic to eggs and always trying eggless baking with massive failure.

    ReplyDelete