When most people think of barbecuing, I don't think they think about great vegetarian food. Burgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs - sure they all to come to mind. And maybe a veggie burger might slip into a few people's minds, but not great vegetarian food.
But today I hope to show to you that you can grill up some truly delicious vegetarian food, and not go anywhere near a veggie burger. I've made grilled polenta, BBQ sauce smothered grilled veggies, and fresh tomatoes and basil. I think it's a winner.
Grilled Polenta and Barbecued Veggies - serves 6-8
1 cup corn meal
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
4 bell peppers, halved
1 large or 2 medium eggplants, sliced into rounds
8 king oyster mushrooms, halved
1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup basil, torn
1. Start by making your polenta. Add milk, water, mustard, and salt to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Whisk in corn meal and continue stir until mixture is thick and the liquid is all absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and allow to melt.
2. Line a 8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper and pour polenta into it. Smooth the top of the polenta and cool in the fridge until firm, about 1-2 hours or over overnight.
3. Preheat BBQ to medium high heat. While BBQ is preheating, cut polenta into 8 even squares and paint the veggies in a little barbecue sauce.
4. Before grilling, pour oil on a paper towel and grease your grill to prevent the polenta from sticking. Then place peppers, mushrooms, eggplants, and squares of polenta on the grill and cook until warm, and grill marks appear, about 5-10 minutes.
5. Remove everything from the grill. Cut polenta into triangles and peppers into smaller segments, if desired.
6. Smear a little barbecue sauce on each plate and top with grilled veggies and polenta as well as fresh tomatoes and basil. Enjoy!