Monday 4 March 2013

Duck and Cover

Yesterday I went to China Town and bought a half Peking duck. I don't normally get excited about buying pre-cooked poultry but Peking duck is something I have no interest in making. It just sounds way too time consuming and they're done right in China Town, so why bother. 

I was planning on making some amazing duck spring rolls, but my wrappers wouldn't cooperate and I ended up with a delicious salad instead. I guess it just goes to show you that a new recipe is just around the corner and you never know where you'll find it. 

Stay tuned for my duck spring roll recipe in the future and read on for this tasty salad recipe now.

Asian Duck Noodle Salad - serves 4

1/2 Peking duck or rotisserie chicken, meat shredded and crispy skin reserved
1/2 small green cabbage, finely sliced, about 3 cups
1/2 bunch of green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon oil
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 cups sugar snap peas, sliced in half
1 package of thin rice noodles, prepared as directed on package
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Asian vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons sesame oil

1. Combine salad dressing ingredients, soy, vinegar, honey, lime juice, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Seat aside.

2. Stir fry cabbage in oil until wilted and soft. Add to the salad dressing.

3. Add remaining ingredients, except for crispy duck skin, to the salad dressing and toss lightly to combine.

4. Serve and top each dish with a little crispy duck skin. Enjoy!

I'd definitely make this dish with rotisserie chicken for a quick weeknight supper, I just wouldn't get excited about buying a rotisserie chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment