Thursday 22 November 2012

Cuts the Mustard

Usually this idiom appears in negative contexts, but today I am sharing a positively awesome potato recipe that definitely cuts the mustard. They're similar to Luke's favourite Crispy Potatoes, but I think they're even better. 

This recipe is one that I've tweaked to work for me. My grandfather told my mom that he makes the dish by putting raw sauced potatoes directly in the oven, but that takes a long time to cook and I wanted a quicker recipe. My mom told me she boils her potatoes before saucing them and putting them in the oven, but I couldn't stomach washing an extra pot. 

I decided to pre-cook my potatoes whole in my microwave, chop them, sauce them, and bake them. I think it's the best way for the dish to work for me. Read on for my recipe.

Roasted Dijon Potatoes - serves 4

4 -5 medium thin skinned potatoes, whole with knife holes poked into them
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
2 pinch of salt and pepper

1. Microwave potatoes until soft, about 15 minutes.

2. While the potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 400 degrees and mix up the sauce. Combine the mustard, oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.

3. Chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces and lay in a baking dish or cookie sheet in an even layer. Make sure all the little bits of potato are in the pan too, they'll get crispy and delicious!

4. Pour the mustard sauce over top of the potatoes and toss the potatoes so the sauce begins to be absorbed by the warm potatoes and fully coats them.

5. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes get crispy. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment