Wednesday 2 May 2012

Chock Full of Veggies

I know I've told you that I don't often stick with my New Year's resolutions, but with all the great vegetarian dinner ideas out there I am not having any trouble at all sticking to my resolution to eat meatless meals at least once a week. 

I actually barely even think about making sure I fit a meatless meal into my menu planning for the week. And yes, I do plan my meals every week. It's makes shopping easier and I only have to go once a week. I don't think that makes me a grandma, do you? 

Well, regardless of me being a grandma, this meatless meal is great because I bet you get close to your recommended amount of fruits and veggies in just one large piece. And you definitely get enough if you pair this pie with a fresh green salad. 

So... let's get making it!

Roasted Veggie and Goat Cheese Pie

1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust (homemade or purchased)
1 red pepper, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 medium eggplant, chopped into bite sized chunks
1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite sized chunks
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh goats cheese, sliced or crumbled
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup cream (milk could do the trick if you're trying to be healthier too, but we're already having a vegetarian night...)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine sweet potato and eggplant on a baking sheet, drizzle with half of the olive oil, and sprinkle with a little salt pepper and pepper. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until veggies are soft.

2. While sweet potato and eggplant are baking, saute the fennel and onion in the other half of the olive oil until they're soft, about 15 minutes.

3. Scatter the onion and fennel mixture on the bottom of the pie crust. Top with the onion mixture with the sweet potatoes and egg plant. Then place the tomatoes and red peppers on the pie, followed by the goat cheese.

4. Mix the eggs with the cream and pour this over top of the pie. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Bake pie for about 60 minutes or until the pastry is browned and filling is set.

6. Let the pie sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into it and enjoy!

If anyone tastes this and says it's hard to be a vegetarian, I don't know what I'll think!

No comments:

Post a Comment