Tuesday 13 December 2011

Roasted and Toasted

I love winter cooking because it's full of comfort food. But that doesn't mean I don't miss summer food during the winter too. 

One of the things I especially miss is barbecuing. I love the smell of the grill and the taste of gently charred food. Only gently charred, and it's always done on purpose. :)

I know you're probably thinking that I mean steaks and burgers, but actually one of my favourite things to grill is asparagus. 

I know that sounds weird, but once you try it - you'll be hooked. I'll be sure to show you my tips when it gets warmer. 

Here's a way to make asparagus in your oven. It's sure to make your dreams of summer grilling come true. 


Roasted Asparagus

1 bunch of asparagus, bottoms snapped off
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

2. Lay the asparagus on a cookie sheet and evenly toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

3. Bake for about 5 minutes or until you hear a light crackle sound and begin to smell something nutty.

4. Flip asparagus and allow the other side to roast and crackle a bit too, about three more minutes.

The only downside is the asparagus is a little softer than I usually like it to be. But the nutty flavour more than makes up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment