Tuesday 6 December 2011

Quick and Easy

My Christmas tree is decorated and just like every year I had to make a bunch of snacks to enjoy for the party because it takes a few hours to decorate the tree and you need your energy to make everything look perfect.

This year I didn't want to spend too much time in the kitchen so everything I made had to be quick and easy. But, most importantly, it all had to taste great too.

I knew I wanted to make a spinach dip for one of my appetizers, but I was hoping to make something a little healthier than a cheesy baked concoction. I wasn't the most concerned about the calories in general, I just wanted to be able to enjoy a few cookies too.

Here's my version of a healthy spinach dip using ricotta in place of the common cheddar. It's great for veggies and anything else you want to dip into it. Plus, no baking is required so it's much faster to whip up than the baked version!


Healthy Spinach Dip

1 can of chick peas, liquid reserved
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 package of frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup of light Ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Pinch of salt

1. Pulse garlic cloves in a food processor until they are minced. Add chick peas and spinach and pulse until combined, about 1 minute.

2. Add cheese, lemon juice, and hot sauce and continue to pulse until evenly combined. Use a little of the liquid from the chick peas if you would like to thin your dip.

3. Season to taste with salt and enjoy.

Just beware of adding too much hot sauce because the dip will get spicier as it sits in the fridge.

So did you want to see my tree?


And here's a quick wreath I made from the branches I trimmed off the bottom of the tree.


It's small but perfect for my door.

All I did was group the branches together to in a row and spin green floral wire around the branches to attach them together. Then once I had created a garland, I just held the two ends together and continued wrapping to form a circle. A ribbon completed my quick and easy wreath.

So what do you think?

Will you try the dip? And what about the wreath?

No comments:

Post a Comment