Tuesday 27 December 2011

Be Merry, Berry, and Bright

Christmas may be over, but it's still a holiday today so enjoy it! Eat, drink, be berry berry merry.

And if you haven't eaten breakfast yet, try this yummy French toast with blackberry syrup.

I was so caught up in making sure I had all the veggies I could need for Christmas dinner that I forgot all about making sure I had enough fixings for some holiday breakfasts. I had my French toast in a frying before I even sniffed around my fridge for maple syrup. And of course there was none inside.

Luckily my freezer is stuffed full of local blackberries and after making this breakfast, I might just "forget" to buy maple syrup again!


French Toast with Blackberry Syrup

4 slices of French bread, stale bread from last night's dinner is just fine
3 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons spiced apple cider
1 cup blackberries, frozen is great
1/2 cup water, divided
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons corn starch
1 tablespoon butter, for frying

1. Combine eggs and apple cider in a flat bowl. Mix well.

2. Melt butter in a large frying pan on the stove at medium heat. While butter is melting, dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture, flipping the bread to let it soak it all the egg up on both sides.

3. Pan fry French toast until both sides are browned and firm, about 2-4 minutes on each side.

4. While French toast is frying, prepare the syrup. Add blackberries, 1/4 cup water, and sugar to a small pot on the stove at medium heat. Stir to let sugar melt.

5. Combine remaining water and corn starch in a small bowl and add to the blackberries once the sugar is melted. Bring mixture to a boil and cook until the mixture reaches your desired thickness, about 3-5 minutes.

You could mash up the blackberries, puree the sauce, or even strain out the seeds - but it smelled to yummy to me so I couldn't wait. Plus, I liked the texture of it au natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment