I think that this lasagna is the perfect pre-holiday meal because with all of the extra house guests that come over, you'll need a big casserole of something to serve for dinner. Plus, you'll probably have leftovers for all those late night cravings when you're wrapping gifts.
And this lasagna is extra special because not only does it feed a lot of people, but there is an unexpected twist to it too. It's got a spicy curry kick to warm you up on a cold night and there is no tomato sauce for a white Christmas.
Curious yet? Read on for the recipe!
Curried Pumpkin White Lasagna - serves 8-12
1 package of fresh lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks, washed and light green and white parts minced
4 cups of spinach
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups pumpkin, chopped into chunks and roasted
2 tablespoons of curry powder
1/2 cup of veggie stock
2 cups of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of parsley, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
2 1/2 cups of béchamel sauce
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sauté leeks and mushrooms in the oil until cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and zucchini and continue sautéing until the zucchini is warm and the spinach is wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. In a blender, pulse together half of the roasted pumpkin with the curry powder and the veggie stock. Pour the smooth mixture into a bowl and toss with the remaining pumpkin. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Smear a 1/2 cup of béchamel sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan and top with a layer of noodles. Follow up with the sautéed veggie mixture and top with another layer of noodles. Next, smear on the ricotta cheese and sprinkle the parsley and green onions on top, followed by another layer of noodles. Smooth the pumpkin mixture on top next and follow with the last layer of noodles. Finish with béchamel sauce and mozzarella cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
6. Let cool about 10 minutes, slice, and enjoy!