Tuesday 3 December 2013

Melt My Heart

I might live in one of the warmest areas of Canada, but it's still cold here in December. In fact, I don't even like going outside this time of year, unless I have to. And when I have to, I always like to warm up when I'm back inside with a cup of tea and a delicious treat. 

Today's post is a holiday cookie I made from Canadian Living's November magazine that brings the taste of winter indoors so you don't even have to get outside in order to enjoy a cookie. Instead, just eat one of these Minty Meltaways to feel like you're outside and then eat another cookie to warm yourself up. 
Minty Meltaways - makes about 24 cookies

1 cup butter, softened 
2/3 cup of icing sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract 
2/3 cup corn starch 
1 1/4 cups flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt
Icing, for decoration
Crushed candid canes, for decoration 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 

2. Cream butter and sugar and then add in the peppermint extract. Stir to combine. Next add the corn starch and flour and stir to combine. 

3. Roll dough into small balls, I made about 3/4 tablespoon size each.

4. Bake about 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown, but tops stay pretty white. 

5. Let cookies cool and let frost with a little icing and decorate with. A sprinkling of crushed candy canes. 

I was able to find crushed candy canes at the Bulk Barn. It was a treat to not have to crush them myself and they were even a little less money to buy them already crushed! 

Stay tuned to see what other yummy cookie recipes I'll be making this year. I'm planning on baking a few favourites and also a couple new cookies too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment