Sunday 1 September 2013

Banana Curry

When I go to a restaurant and I see a dish on the menu that I feel inspired to try to make at home, I know it's been a good night. The last thing I want in a restaurant is a boring menu filled with uninspiring things. Steak and potatoes or salmon with rice, all served with seasonal veggies, is nice - but I want to be excited by a meal.

When I saw a dish of banana curry with mussels on a menu recently, I knew I was in for a treat. I love curry and I love bananas. Plus I could see how that dish could work. I always use something sweet in my curries to counterbalance the spicy tart flavours of my dishes.

I was also really excited to have a new dish to try when I had a few overripe bananas. I love banana bread but everyone needs a break from the ordinary! Read on for my Banana Curry recipe!

Banana Curry - serves 4-6

1 onion, sliced into half moons
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 small eggplant, chopped
2 tablespoons oil, divided
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
1 stalk of lemon grass, minced (bottom part only)
1-2 tablespoons of yellow Thai curry paste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 can of coconut milk
3 ripe bananas, sliced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
Hot couscous or rice, for serving
Raisins, for garnish

1. Start by stir frying the onion, zucchini, and eggplant in half of the oil. Stir fry veggies until tender and then set aside.

2. Now make your curry sauce. Cook the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in the remaining oil until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Then add in the curry paste, turmeric, coconut milk, and bananas. Stir to combine and, when bubbly, add in the veggies.

3. Stir in the lime juice and fish sauce and serve with rice or couscous. Top with a sprinkle of raisins, if desired. Enjoy!

I love the flavour that the bananas bring to the table. They're sweet, rich, and yummy - a perfect balance to a curry!

No comments:

Post a Comment