Sunday 15 September 2013

Guilty Pleasure

One of the things I miss about eating meat is smearing a big chunk of pâté on a slice of baguette. I love the creamy texture and the rich flavour. Everything about pâté makes me feel guilty and in love, all at the same time. 

Luckily I found a way to relive all my guilty pleasures of eating pâté because I have made a truly decadent vegetarian version of my old favourite. I'm going to make it for my family at Christmas and I really don't think that they'll be able to tell the difference from the original version. Or maybe they will, because my Mushroom Pâté is a little bit better than the original.  

Mushroom Pâté - serves 4
 
2 cups of mushrooms, chopped
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
3 tablespoons Marsala
Zest from 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1 baguette, sliced into thin circles 

1. Sauté mushrooms in half of the butter at medium heat until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Add in the Marsala and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat when the liquid is evaporated. 


2. Purée mushroom mixture in a food processor and then add in remaining butter and cream cheese. 
Pulse food processor to combine. Season to taste again with salt and pepper. Let pâté chill in the fridge for about an hour or overnight. 

3. Sprinkle pâté with lemon zest and serve with sliced baguette. 

So what do you think? Will you try this version of pâté? I know I'll never me tempted to try something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment