Tuesday 17 September 2013

Super Salad

If you're someone who thinks that there is something about a salad that says diet food, you just haven't tried one of my salads. I don't mean that my salads are high in fat, I mean that my salads have enough oomph, flavour, and substance to leave you feeling full longer. 

And since I've paired today's salad with one of my favourite treats, green onion pancakes, it left me feeling full for a very long time. This feeling of being super full may have been because I had two helpings, but who's to say? I think that when a salad is that good, you should always have seconds! 


Sweet Potato and Chick Pea Salad - serves 4 - 6

Recipe inspired by one in Canadian Living, September 2013

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
6 cups of baby spinach
1/3 of a red onion, minced
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons oil
1 recipe Green Onion Pancakes  or other store bought flatbread

1. Start by getting the sweet potatoes ready. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss sweet potatoes with oil, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Lay in an even layer on the parchment lined baking tray and bake until soft, about 20-30 minutes.

2. While sweet potatoes are baking, make your dressing. Whisk together yogurt, maple syrup, lime juice, mustard, and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Toss together spinach, chick peas, onion, and as much dressing as desired. Serve topped with sweet potatoes and a side of Green Onion Pancakes.

Could you tell me you wouldn't have seconds? I didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment