Wednesday 11 September 2013

Mad About You

Today my sister is flying to Madagascar for three months. I am a little envious of her adventure, but happy for her too because I imagine that there might be some delicious Madagascar vanilla in my future. And all the thinking I've been doing about the possible Madagascar vanilla has me thinking beautiful floral thoughts and playing with beautiful floral flavours. 

Today's dish celebrates the floral flavours of Madagascar and also acts as a farewell note to Mary. It's features a really inventive polenta made from cornmeal, silky puréed sweet potatoes, and coconut milk. I can't take credit for the concept because I read about it in an old cookbook from my local library, but I can take credit for making the dish really yummy. 

Safe flight and have fun, Mary. See you at Christmas! 


Sweet Potato and Coconut Polenta with Sweet and Spicy Veggies - serves 4-6

2 cups veggie stock
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into smaller pieces
1 can of coconut milk
1 1/4 cups corn meal
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1/2 medium eggplant, chopped
2 cups broccoli floret, cut into bite sized pieces
3 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Start by cooking the sweet potato in the veggie stock. Purée with an immersion blender.

2. Add in coconut milk and bring to a boil. Slowly pour in corn meal, whisking constantly. Keep warm and set aside.

3. Stir fry veggies in oil until soft. Stir in the sweet Thai chili sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Serve veggies on top of a generous scoop of the polenta. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment