Today's post is a Hawaiian style Carrot Cake Granola that is perfect for making me happy on a grey day. This granola has everything that I love in a carrot cake - raisins, coconut, pineapple, walnuts, and of course it's full of grated carrot! I wasn't sure how the carrot would work as it baked with the granola, but I was pleasantly surprised with my experiment. It worked on the first try!
Read on to find out how I made sunshine in a bowl.
2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup each of coconut, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts
2 cups finely grated carrot
1/2 cup honey
Zest of one orange
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried sweetened pineapple
Oil, to spray
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all ingredients except for raisins and pineapple in a large bowl. Mix well and spread in an even layer on the cookie sheet. Spray with a little oil.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until oats are crispy.
4. When granola comes out of the oven, toss in the raisins and pineapple.
5. Enjoy with plain yogurt sweetened with maple syrup and let this yummy granola brighten up your morning.