I feel so good after eating a delicious vegetarian meal, but I haven't found a wide range of dishes that are truly satisfying. Until now.
This is one of those dishes that you can enjoy completely and after eating it there will be no thoughts of how nice it was to have eaten a vegetarian meal. Those thoughts won't exist because you won't even know that you didn't eat meat.
I think it's because there are so many flavours happening in one yummy dish that I don't miss the meat, but I'll let you decide yourself after eating it. Read on for the recipe.
Sweet and Sour Indian Stew - serves 4-6
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 eggplant, diced
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small butternut squash, diced (sweet potato works well too)
2 tablespoons of Indian curry paste
1 small can of tomato paste
3 cups of chicken or veggie stock
2 tablespoons of vinegar
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper, to taste
Greek yogurt and cilantro, for garnish
1. In a large pot sauté the cauliflower, onion, eggplant, and squash in oil. Cook about five minutes.
2. Add the curry paste and cook another minute. Stir to mix the curry over all veggies.
3. Add the tomato paste, stock, vinegar, and brown sugar. Cover and cook on a simmer for about 20 minutes or until squash is soft.
4. Add the chick peas and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve stew over couscous and top with Greek yogurt and cilantro.
I could go for a bowl of this right now. I know it's going to be what I serve the next time a vegetarian comes over for dinner!