I'm going to let you in on a few secrets, just because we're friends. I've never eaten okra before making this recipe and I've never watched Forrest Gump in it's entirety. Those were just two things that I had never wanted to do before.
However, after eating this Shrimp Gumbo and learning that okra can actually be quite tasty, I think I might give watching Forrest Gump a try.
Read on for a delicious Shrimp Gumbo recipe. And if you're not interested in trying okra, you can always omit the slippery veggie and replace it with zucchini instead.
Shrimp Gumbo - serves 4-6
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 19 oz can of chopped tomatoes, drained
1 cup okra (or zucchini), chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon each of paprika and oregano
1 lb shrimp, peeled
Salt and pepper, to taste
Rice, cooked to serve with the Shrimp Gumbo
1. Melt butter in a large soup pot at medium heat and then stir in the flour.
2. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic and cook until veggies soften, about 2-4 minutes.
3. Add broth, tomatoes, okra, cumin, paprika, and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Cover and stir occasionally.
4. Add shrimp and cook about five more minutes, until shrimp is cooked through.
5. Serve gumbo over rice and enjoy!
Shrimp and prawns are symbols of long life so really we should have seconds of this dish too!