Thursday 10 January 2013

Eating Smarter

As with every year I am trying to incorporate more vegetarian cooking into my meals, but I am also giving myself a few more resolutions. When I eat meat this year, I am going to eat smaller portions of meat and larger portions of veggies. I am going to try and eat local veggies more often. 

You might think that this is going to make things harder for me, but I think it will actually give me more opportunities to succeed. I'm not going to succeed at all my goals at every meal, but I hope to succeed at one goal at most meals. 

In today's post I am sharing a recipe that succeeds at begin vegetarian but not made from anythign local. I first tried a similar salad at a potluck and thought I would try to make it at home. I think it turned out great!

Avocado, Mandarin, and Turkey Salad - serves 4

4 cups of Romaine lettuce, torn
2 avocados, diced
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained with juice reserved
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon marmalade
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. In a large bowl toss together lettuce, oranges, avocado, and pumpkin seeds.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour in a little mandarin orange juice, reserved from the can, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.

3. Pour dressing over salad, toss, and enjoy!

I love this idea for a lunch or as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment