Friday 9 September 2011

Third Time's The Charm

I looked back over my last few posts and realized I had only posted one follow up recipe to my Dancing Chickens.

I know that Luke goes into the fridge at night and eats almost everything he finds in there, but surely I had to have made at least one more meal with the leftover chicken.

So I looked through my photos and sure enough I found my third chicken recipe. I don't know how I almost forgot about this one too, because lasagna is probably my favourite meal of all time.

Nothing is bad in it. You've got cheese, pasta, veggies, and usually meat. The only thing missing is dessert. And although I love dessert pizza, I definitely don't think I will ever want to eat a bite of dessert lasagna.

Here you go chicken lovers. Hopefully this helps to get you out of any leftover chicken ruts you're in!


Chicken and Zucchini Lasagna

1 box of lasagna noodles
3 cups leftover chicken, chopped
2 cups grated zucchini
1 can of chopped tomatoes, drained
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 cup pesto (purchased or Easy Cilantro Pesto, recipe below)
3 cups white sauce (purchased or Creamy White Wine Sauce, recipe below)
Salt and pepper

1. Boil a large pot of salted water and add lasagna noodles. Follow directions on box to cook. Once cooked, remove from the boiling water and run cool water over the pasta so it does not continue to cook.

2. Grate your cheese and zucchini by hand or with a food processor. If you are planning on making my easy cilantro pesto, I would use a food processor for everything.

3. Combine grated zucchini, chicken, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.


4. Combine ricotta, egg, and pesto in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.


5. Layer up your lasagna! This recipe makes one small square dish and one large rectangle dish, so you can place one lasagna in the freezer for an easy dinner another night.

Start with a quarter of the white sauce, divided between the two dishes, on the bottom of each dish to prevent the noodles from sticking.

Top with noodles.

Next smooth out half of the ricotta mixture, divided between the two dishes, on the noodles.

Top with more noodles.

Spread out half of the zucchini/chicken mixture next, followed by half of the mozzarella cheese.

Top with more noodles and repeat with another ricotta layer, another noodle layer, and another zucchini/chicken layer.

Before you put on the last of the mozzarella cheese, divide the rest of the white between the two dishes and finish with the remaining cheese.

6. Bake in your over at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until the lasagna starts to bubble and is warm when you stick a knife in the middle to test.

Enjoy!!

Easy Cilantro Pesto

3 cups cilantro, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1. Place all ingredients except olive oil in the food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds.

2. Pour in olive oil and continue to pulse until well combined.

Creamy White Wine Sauce


3 tablespoons butter
3 all purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

1. Melt butter in a medium pot on the stove at medium heat.

2. Add flour and mix in to combine once butter is melted and begins to bubble.

3. Increase heat and add milk, a little at a time. Whisk until well combined.

4. Add wine, Parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment