Tuesday 20 September 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

I love breakfast for dinner almost as much as I love breakfast on the weekends.

I think about all the delicious, comforting egg dishes on Friday night and wonder which one I'll treat myself to the next morning. There are so many kinds of dishes that you can make with eggs that the possibilities are seemingly endless.

So when I get an opportunity to try one of these delightful breakfast style dishes for dinner, I jump on it.

I mean, another chance to enjoy breakfast? Who wouldn't love that?

The dish I am sharing with you today is a dish that you could serve for dinner and have memories of weekend breakfasts, or you could enjoy it for breakfast and serve it with fruit instead of a salad. It's good any way you try it!




Florentine Quiche (makes 2 quiches)

Crust:
1 egg
2 cups white rice, cooked (I used 1 cup of uncooked rice and it made a little more than 2 cups of cooked rice)
2/3 cup cream cheese

Quiche:
1 package of frozen spinach
1 bunch of beet greens, chopped into thin pieces
2 tablespoons butter
4 eggs
2 cups cottage cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make the crust. Beat 1 egg well. Add the rice and cream cheese and mix in. Spread on the bottom of two greased pie plates in an even layer.

3. Cook the frozen spinach and the beet greens. Drain well and add the butter. Set aside.

4. Beat the remaining 4 eggs. Add cottage cheese, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses. Add the spinach and beet greens. Pour mixture over the rice crusts, dividing mixture between the two evenly.

5. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the egg starts to puff and turns a bit brown. Cool for about 5 minutes before serving.


I wasn't sure how I would like a quiche without pastry or if all the cheese would make the quiche too heavy, but I enjoyed every bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment